Trunk or Treat is a safe, supervised, “no-fear” annual event held on Halloween at Bethel Temple from 5:30-8PM on the campus of Bethel Temple Community Church / Evansville Christian School. Trunk or Treat began October, 2001, following 9/11 when many parents became fearful about “trick or treating” in dark neighborhoods. Its primary purpose is to provide a controlled, family-friendly environment for preschool and elementary kids, dads, moms, and even grandparents to enjoy fellowship, cars, games and candy. Revenue generated from wristband sales help offset event expenses: outdoor sound systems (east & west parking lots), candy, amusement rides, inflatable’s, tents, vertical climbing wall, 1/8 scale train, 16 preschool/17 elementary games, safety fencing around event, food (hot dogs, soft drinks, chips, cotton candy and more). Admission includes purchase of wristband and canned good for the Evansville Christian Life Center Food Pantry. In addition, 100% of revenue, exceeding Trunk or Treat expenses, is donated to the Evansville Christian Life Center to help them provide assistance throughout our community in the areas of Life Care Services, Community Outreach, Pregnancy Care Services and Recovery Care Services.
For children from under-resourced families, purchasing a wristband is not an option. Trunk or Treat aims to ensure every child wishing to attend, can. Last year we were able to provide free wristbands to children attending area schools, as well as, free wrist bands to Military Families (approximately 33% of children attending received free admission). Wristband sales help provide the revenue necessary to host Trunk or Treat; however, access for ALL children is our primary objective.
In 2012 Trunk or Treat included:
- This year’s attendance was 7756 kids, parents and adults (including 458 volunteers)
- 112 vehicles including cars, motorcycles, Eric Paul’s Street Lethal, and the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s D.A.R.E. Car
- 276,438 pieces of candy was collected for distribution to our guests
- 23 rides and inflatables from Brady’s Amusements, Backyard Blasts, Sims Brothers’ Inflatables and Bauer’s Tents, one 1/8-scale train from Turner Trains, 35 preschool and elementary games, and an Evansville Fire Department fire engine
- ½ mile for safety fencing enclosing the church/school campus
- Nearly 1/3 a ton (714 items) of canned goods donated to the Evansville Christian Life Center food pantry
- Buehler’s IGA distributed 20,800 candies, crackers, pencils and antenna balls
- 5000 hot dogs, 1500 soft drinks, 1500 bags of chips, 3000 bags of cotton candy,
- 264 Kids’ Tummy Yummy Fruit Drinks, 600 pieces of Greek’s Pizza, 3000 Donut Bank donut balls, 1800 Moe’s cookies, 600 dishes of Lic’s Ice Cream, 200 of Just Rennie’s brownies were consumed.
…and special thanks to the Evansville Fire Department, the Evansville Police Department, Board of Public Safety, Vanderburgh County Sheriff, Road Safe Traffic Safety, Rundus Construction Co., Turner Trains, and Dave Cardiff of DCtrains.com
Volunteers staff the event in the form of clowns, face-painters, security, game coordinators and assistants. In addition, we have entertainment and community volunteers.
In an effort to create an atmosphere of complete safety and security, police will control traffic on the portion of Lincoln Avenue in front of the church/school campus. Shuttle Buses provided (5:15-8:15PM) next to the Big Lots in Lawndale on Green River Road.
Wristbands for 3-12 year-old students…$5/advance, $7/at the door (until sold out) plus a non-perishable canned food item. (Parents admitted FREE.)
- Benny’s Flooring
- Buehler’s IGA…all area locations
- CVS Pharmacy – Green River & Lincoln only
- Donut Bank Bakery & Coffee Shop…all area locations
- Gary’s Body Shop
- Greek’s Pizzeria
- Lefler’s Collision & Glass Repair Center…all 3 locations
- Lic’s Ice Cream and Deli…all area locations
- Parker Construction in Henderson
- The Vineyard Christian Resource Center
- Vitreo-Retinal Center
- Zehner Contracting LLC
- Bethel Temple Community Church
On October 31 all available wristbands will be sold at the Lawndale parking lot (next to Big Lots) after 4PM.
Ride co-sponsors: Boone Funeral Homes, Coca Cola Enterprises of Evansville, Evansville Christian School, Just Rennie’s Catering & Cookies, River Bend Association, Memories at Home Photography, Hoesli Diesel Service, Felt’s Lock & Alarm Co, and Hornbeck Concrete Services
Game Booth sponsors: Dr. Rick Crawford, Evansville Teachers FCU, Harding Shymanski, Linda Daughtery, GattiTown, Merrill Lynch/Steve Gorman, and VIP Barbershop
Kidstuf Theatre presents Glow Show
Glow Show is a 20-minute show full of live music and fun! First 1000 kids at the show get a glow stick! Shows at 6 & 7pm.